View over the landscape
View to the north
The village of Nübelfeld can be seen in the foreground. It is divided by Nordstrasse (B199). Nordstrasse is about 46 kilometres long and mainly runs along the old Kreisbahn railway, which even in former times linked the ports of Flensburg (Baltic Sea) and Kappeln (Schlei). In 1954, the then Minister-President of Schleswig-Holstein, Friedrich Wilhelm Lübke, ceremoniously opened the Nordstrasse. A memorial stone on the Munkbrarup rest area was dedicated to him.
Kalleby is situated behind Nübelfeld. If we follow the view, we can see – half-way towards Kalleby – the rotor blades of the windmill, which is no longer in use. The Danish mainland lies behind the Flensburg Fjord. The city of Sønderborg is clearly visible. Before the gates of the city, the Dybbøl Hills and the Danish national symbol – the Dybbøl windmill – are situated to the west. The mill was destroyed during the Schleswig-Holstein war of 1849 and again in the German-Danish war of 1864, but was rebuilt.
View to the east
If you look in a north-easterly direction, you can see Gelting Birk, the largest nature reserve in the district of Schleswig-Flensburg. It is situated at the outlet of the Flensburg Fjord. If visibility is especially good, it is possible to see the Kalkgrund lighthouse in the open sea during the day, or better still, during the night. The lighthouse is situated somewhat above the headland Gelting Birk.
Koniks (wild horses), sheep, Galloways and highland cattle preserve the grazing areas in Gelting Birk, More than 90 types of bird breed in the nature reserve. There are circular paths, making the reserve accessible to tourists. Keep your eyes open for the osprey. The city of Kappeln lies a long way to the east on the Schlei and cannot be seen. The Schlei is an inlet of the Baltic Sea. It separates the countryside of Anglia (Angeln) from that of Schwansen.
View to the south
Quern lies at the foot of Scheersberg. The village is characterised by the steeple of the Church of St. Nicholas, which was built in about 1200. A closer look reveals that it leans a little to one side. According to a local legend, a female giant from the Danish island of Alsen was so enraged by the construction of the church that she hurled a boulder across the Baltic Sea with the aid of a garter. The garter snapped at the last moment and the boulder just missed the target. However, the draught was so strong that the steeple has tilted slightly ever since then. Beyond the village, looking in a south-easterly direction, we can see the Church of St. Lawrence in the municipality of Sterup. The church was built in around 1230.
View to the west
The white telecommunications tower and radio mast with a total height of 174 metres is about 20 km away in Freienwill. The red-white striped Flensburg mast, which is now owned by the North German Broadcasting Corporation (NDR), is located some distance away towards the east on the outskirts of Flensburg. In the mid-1930s, there was a wooden radio tower, described by the locals as the “Wooden Eiffel Tower” because of its appearance. It was one of the few towers that survived World War II unscathed. From there, the unconditional surrender of the German Armed Forces was broadcast on 9 May 1945.
In the foreground, the structural changes in farming are clearly evident in the landscape of Anglia. Wind turbines have a marked impact on the landscape. Wind energy is transformed into electrical energy and fed into the grid. Biogas installations with their typical domed roofs, which can be seen in red in the foreground along Nordstrasse, are another feature that has become normal in the landscape of Anglia. The gas, which is used to generate electricity and heat, is produced by fermentation of manure or so-called energy crops such as maize and rapeseed.